Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Proudly Canadian


On Monday we had dia de Raza here and it was an event where everyone had the opportunity to represent their country. There are 19 different countries represented here. It is amazing that so many different ethnicities can gather together, to celebrate as we did yesterday, but so often to be able to worship the same God as well.

We had a parade of flags as well as presentations from many of the different countries, and then we all had lunch together with many foods being brought from the different countries. As Canadians we brought pumpkin and chocolate pie.

For myself it was a unique experience to carry the national flag, and I became more aware of how proud I am to be Canadian, and the rich heritage that comes with it. When you are all of a sudden the minority (5 Canadian Missionaries to 21 Americans) it is neat to be able to stand up for your country.

1 comment:

Betty said...

Great to see you Leroy with the Canadian flag..I'm thinking you were choked up,right?
Years ago John and I attended a hockey game in San Diego of all places..Calgary was playing there at the time and we stood to our feet and belted out our national anthem. Yep got all choked up!!
Wouldn't even think of cheering for Calgary back home but out there it was like our home team! LOL